This is a blog devoted to my lady heroes. I went onto the Forbes website and looked up the list of the top 100 most powerful women in the world to see how they stacked up and they are all in the Top 25! I’m glad the rest of the world agree. So I am not going into a full history, how they got there, this is just my appreciation for these ladies and I hope you comment your top 4 and why too!
Hilary Clinton (Number 2)
Hilary is amazing to me. She has worked hard for a long time to get where she is and even being defeated 2 times in the presidential campaign, she hasn’t given up. She has vanished from view, but lets not forget she is a grandmother and wife, and probably has a lot of stuff to do in her personal life and professional life. I hope to see her kicking back soon!!
Michelle Obama (Number 13)
This woman. She is the best First Lady I have ever seen in my lifetime. She is warm, funny, smart, and knows what she wants. She made life better for a lot of people and I don’t think I’ve seen a First Lady this proactive in everything from sports to music to talk shows. She is also smart in saying she wouldn’t run for president, which takes guts to do as I know a lot of people would love her to do it, but she is a people helper and loves doing that. Looking forward to seeing what she will do in the future with her new platform.
Oprah (Number 21)
This woman has lived her life in the public eye and still has remained elegant, cutting edge, and popular with everyone. She is a media mogul, having scooped many sought after interviews, and helped millions of people through advice on her shows or giving them a CAAAAAARRRR!!! YOU GET A CAR! YOU GET A CAR!
I love watching her and she does seem to be living her best life so definitely looking forward to what she does next!
Helen Clark (Number 22)
This one is very personal for me. This woman got me to vote. Well she didn’t show up at my door and take me down the polling station, but she made me think about me and my place in politics and what she wanted to do for lil ole New Zealand. She really sunk it in for me and I was so happy when she became our Prime Minister. This is a woman who a country still fondly calls Aunty Helen even when she went to work for the UN. She does amazing work, and I think she is incredible.
This list is a bit political heavy, but I feel it has more substance than one of those celebrity lists (which lets be real, I will probably do at some point). I hope you let me know your lady idols, and comment!!
Trying something new in fashion can be a jump. You could try a different colour, different style, or that sequin batwing top your wanted to try for ages. But at the end of the day, its about you heading out the door in that new style. It can take a lot of confidence to try something new, and while you may be a woman of today and not care what other people think, sometimes people say things that inadvertently make you feel less confident than you did while staring in the mirror at home.
Fashion was a way for me to build my confidence by wearing and doing whatever i wanted. Sequin MC Hammer pants? YOU BET. Minnie Mouse sunglasses? Defo.
What I find is that instead of people staring at you like an alien, they come over and say Wow. I wish I can do/wear that. Etcetera. A lot of people I find want to fight the norm and wear something amazing but can’t quite break out. It is easier than you think!
- Wear a colour youve always wanted to try. It doesn’t have to be a crop top bedazzled, it can be a nice blouse or trouser.
- Step up to a crazy accessory with a relatively plain outfit. People comment and support with great accessories.
- Support new items with plain. EG a black PVC wiggle skirt will suit a plain top. You could even try some Chuck Taylors to subvert the skirt even more.
- Dont worry too much about what the teeny boppers are doing. You can pick and choose what you want to wear from their fashions, but you are a grown ass woman and you can wear stuff they can’t.
- It sounds cliche, but life is too short to spend being boring. I love planning my outfits every day and will always wear something that is a little bit crazy to edge it up. People will stare, but it is because they want to do it themselves.
Please make sure when you are trying a new item, that it fits and you are comfortable wearing it. People know when you are tugging down a skirt or rearranging a top that you aren’t comfortable. Even if you step out of the house doubting your outfit, you need to own it and pretend your outfit is the BEST.
I want to hear your comments and what you are trying thats new!
Ps if you want to hear more, follow me on
So this weeks blog is about what happens when you live in a different county to your own.
At times, it can be amazing, and at times, it can be extremely difficult. Here are some scenarios:
- I get asked about New Zealand A LOT. I get the impression you Brits love NZ, but will never try to go there. I implore you – DO. Save the the money, take those weeks off work, and just DO IT. No excuses. You can stay with my Mum. (Maybe not).
- My accent really doesn’t go down with some people. I have to repeat and repeat sometimes, and this is fine with me as sometimes I have to get you guys to repeat yourselves too! I love the breadth of accents here, endlessly entertaining. My fav? The Brummie accent.
- Every three years or so, I make the choice to fly home to NZ to catch up with family and friends. Even though we are quite settled in the UK, it is still so important to keep those ties. My friends are having kids and I have a million children to see every time I get home (yay!)
- Food. I miss Seafood, chocolate bars you can only get at home, and NZ coffee.
- Its really hard being away from your family at key events – birthdays, Christmas, etc. It is so hard. And if something happens, you have to drop everything and go there. You have to.
- Living by Europe and in the UK is amazing. I went to Paris with my best friend and it was everything I thought it would be and more. hashtagblessedyall.
I definitely encourage everyone to try living in a different country at some point in their lives. It really is a great thing, and you find out more about yourself that ever before.
Are you living abroad? Whats your favourite thing about it? Comment me!
Ps if you want to hear more, follow me on
Welcome to another She Hangs Bright Brand Pick! This blog I am looking at New Look as they are killing it with the fashion this Spring/Summer! So without further ado, here are my picks, and as always, not paid by the companies, just love them!
The Cold Shoulder Top
The cold shoulder fashion has been around for awhile now and it will not be going away this season either! Not acquainted with the cold shoulder top yet? This top will change your mind. It shows a bit of skin but you can tuck it into your mum jeans or leather mini, it is just that versatile. And its only £8.99.
The Embroidered Dress
As I could not download a better picture, I encourage you to go straight to this link:
AND JUST LOOK PEOPLE.
So embroidery is still a huge trend and this gorgeous dress really drives it for Spring/Summer. The outfit is completely on point and what I would suggest you wear with it this summer for that Bohemian Goth look (see my blog about this HERE.
It is also a purse friendly £24.99. Get it before it goes!
This skirt taps into something for me. Its the pink, its the embroidery, its the top paired with it, its just the best. I love this so much. It also comes in black, and that might mean I might have to buy two skirts. Its also only £22.99. At the moment it only seems to come in the Petite range, so if you are not petite, try on a few sizes to see where you are at in this range. This skirt is coming into my wardrobe on payday!
So that is my edit of New Look and what they have to offer this season. You can visit their website here: